Thursday, June 9, 2011

I need some opinions..


So I have been noticing pretty much since birth that Jax does not sleep like normal babies and wanted some opinions. Newborns normally sleep ALL the time and he seemed to be the exception but it was definitely a schedule I could work with. He started sleeping through the night at 5 weeks so I am lucky in that department but I don't think he sleeps as much as he should. So far from the research I've done, a regular 3 month old's nap schedule looks approximately like this-

REGULAR CHILD:
Nap around 10:00 am for around 1.5-2 hours
Long nap around 1:30-2 pm for around 2-2.5 hours
Nap around 5:00 pm for around an hour
Bed time around 9 or 10 with a few wake ups depending on the baby

JAXON'S SCHEDULE
Jaxon rarely takes naps. He sleep from about 10:30 pm till about 6:45 am and plays in his crib by himself till 7:30

He'll take one or two, thirty minute naps through out the day and about an hour and a halfnap around 2:00 pm. He just doesn't seem to sleep. He amuses himself really well so I can get SOME things done but I hate just letting him lay on a blanket on the floor or in his crib or swing...

Does this seem abnormal to anyone else? I'm not trying to keep him up so he'll sleep longer at night (although I have heard of women doing that) because I know he'll get over tired and not sleep well. He may just be a kid that doesn't sleep a lot but I thought I would ask around and get some opinions.

I just thought 3 month olds slept more!! :)


3 comments:

Laura said...

Actually, 3 months old isn't so much a newborn anymore. He's more of an infant now, and his "sleep all day long" stage would probably be over by now anyway.

On top of that, from my experience (insert the "every baby is different" disclaimer here) 3 months is also too young for them to have developed a schedule on their own. I have heard of people putting their children on schedules by now, but didn't do that. I let both my kids put themselves on schedules, and that happened for both of them around 6 months. That seems to be a common age for them to fall into their schedules.

So my point is...the most common napping schedule for a 3 month old is....no schedule at all. And I feel your pain...I couldn't wait to get to 6 months where I could have a little more predictability.

Oh, and Cami was NOT a typical newborn/infant either. She just didn't seem to need as much sleep as most babies. Noah was more 'normal', and it was SO nice...but give the little guy 2 or 3 months, and I bet you'll have a much more predictable napping schedule going on! :) Oh, and 6 months - 18 months is my FAVORITE! You're gonna LOVE it!

David and Meg said...

Thanks Laura!! I don't have him on a schedule yet either but it is good to hear that there is hope! He is just starting to interact and play so I really can't wait for 6 months when he can sit up and really gets fun :)

Loretta Valenta said...

Your post on napping schedules brought back memories of my Abigail. She was NEVER a napper! She was baby #5 and so I felt like I knew the schedules of my kids pretty well but she was as you are describing with your baby. She only napped for 20-30 minutes a few times a day and was perfectly content playing in her crib for an hour or so after she would wake up. She never did have a "typical" schedule and to this day (she is going to be 14 in August) she is STILL a night owl and doesn't need much down time (unless she's stayed up all night at a sleep over!) Hang in there and be adaptable...as you know by now the baby is in charge! :)