Friday, March 11, 2011

Jaxon Ray Applegate

So a lot of you probably have already heard about our little guys big entrance into this world but for those of you who don't, here it is!

I woke up Saturday March 5th and felt some lower back pain. I thought I was just sleeping weird and ignored it for a while. Eventually we decided to call the hospital and see what they thought and they said to come in and they would check me. We got ready and made the 45 min trip up there to get admitted. They checked me and did some tests and said it was probably false labor and sent me home by 3:00.

We got home and I did some dishes, made some cookies, and did some laundry. I decided to take a nap since I had a long day and went to sleep for about 3 hours. I woke up around 7:00 pm and thought I was feeling contractions. Around 9:00 they became regular, about 5 min apart but not very strong. We decided to wait since we had been to the hospital and got sent home once already.

David and I watched the MSU game until after midnight and then went to bed since we had church the next day. I couldn't sleep and he stayed up with me until around 1:30. I said if I was still having contractions at 2:00 I'd call the hospital. By 2:00 am my contractions had JUMPED to 2.5-3 minutes apart and intensified. We decided to call the hospital and they said to get right in.

By the time we got ready and drove to the hospital again it was around 3:00 and my contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasted 45-55 seconds each. I was wheel chaired up to the maternity ward when the admissions lady out how close they were and got to go straight into labor and delivery.

They checked me right away and I was already in between 7-8 centimeters. I was worried that I wouldn't get the epidural but they said I was still okay to get it and paged the anesthetist right away. They gave me some medicine in my IV to take the edge off but all it did was make me loopy and puke for the next 5 hours. I was NOT a fan of the medicine.

The anesthetist came and told David to leave while they gave me the epidural. I was later told she showed up with crazy hair, combat boots and a shade of hot pink lipstick that should have been on a 6 year old instead of a 40+ Jamaican. I was all alone in a STEAMING room for the next hour and a half while they gave the least effective epidural in the history of labor. I got relief for the next little bit and began pushing at 6:45.

3.5 hours of pushing later and two failed epidural attempts the doctor told me that the baby was not past my pelvis and it didn't look like he would be getting past it at all. At this point I was exhausted, puking, still sweating because the ridiculously hot room, and ready to see my little boy. I practically walked to the surgery room myself (and could have since my epidural had come out for the 3rd time and I had full feeling in my legs).

The next little bit is pretty much a blur since the head anesthetist came in and fixed the epidural for the c section and the medicine finally kicked in. I was also nauseous still and felt better with my eyes closed. I slept until around 12:30 and met my little guy.

Jaxon Ray Applegate (Jax) was born at 10:29 am and was 9 pounds even and was 21 inches long. He has his mommy's nose and his daddy's everything else! He is SO sweet. He even sleeps for 6 hours stretches at least once a day so David and I can get a little sleep. I am recovering nicely (so I think) and hoping to get back to normal as soon as possible even though it is slow going.

David went and got a new camera today so we will be posting pictures later since he is sleeping right now. David has been an AMAZING help throughout this whole ordeal and I have never been so proud to call him mine. I am so lucky to have someone so helpful and encouraging in my life!

Thank you to everyone who has shown support and love at this exciting time in our life!!!



1 comment:

Jonathan and Sarah said...

congrats again! Im so happy for you both! sorry about the crazy epidural experience....mine was bad too! but the end result is worth it!